Saturday, April 19, 2008

Who's In Charge?

Yesterday, on my photo stream, I was ranting about municipal projects. If you haven't heard about the city's street improvements project, you haven't been listening. This morning, while Flickring, I got an emergency call from Daughter #3, the hairdresser.

"If you're going to be out today, could you drop by? I need some bobby pins, I'm doing a big wedding group, and can't get away!" No problem for papa, who was already instructed to go mail the Visa payment and drop off the Cable payment.

I put on some pants and a shirt (even shoes) to go meet the bridal party, and go to the supply store to get some bobby pins. She was right about the big wedding group. I met the bride, the grandma, the mother-in-law, and I don't even remember how many attendants. I still wonder how they managed to squeeze into the three parking spaces which the city had left available around the shop.

Across the street I noticed that the the property owners had placed some signs on the opposite side of the sidewalk from the parking spaces adjacent to their property. These little signs said "Reserved For Visitors". Being the kind of guy I am, I was tempted to be blatant and park in one of these spaces, because I noticed that several people, apparently connected with the church, were standing around talking. After all, I was a visitor. I decided, however, to save any confrontation for another day when I wasn't in a hurry, and drove on to the parking lot a block further on.

What municipal ordinances could allow a business to control parking on a public street? They probably would exist in this town, if anywhere! It might be worth it to give this situation a test.

On my way home, after delivering the bobby pins, and telling the bride she really should have consulted with my wife before deciding to get married, I stopped by WalMart. The automatic "exit" door obligingly opened as I walked past to the "entrance" door.


No comments: