Sunday, January 25, 2009

Commentary?

I suppose I've thought about many times in the past couple of years, and wondered what life is all about.

In November of 2005, the citizens of Texas voted, "The constitutional amendment providing that marriage in this state consists only of the union of one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision of this state from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

I have not taken the trouble to check up on that constitutional amendment, or to even to try to confirm that I'm legally married to my wife of 50 years (OMIGOSH, I just remembered a Facebook Friend thinks that becoming 50 years of age is a milestone. What, then would hanging with the same person for 50 years be?)

Anyway, for a long time, I sort of, in my own mind, made fun of the wording of the constitutional amendment. I do not know if it has been ratified or not, because it will make no difference in my own life. But now, I'm thinking that the wording of the referendum is very well chosen for the work of Texans. If it has become a part of the Constitution of the State of Texas, then, I'm taking it to mean that it acknowledges that the State of Texas has no business making laws establishing the institution of marriage. AND I AGREE WITH THAT!

The institution of marriage has been around for a lot longer than the state of Texas, and will no doubt still be going strong when there's no more Texas. The world has been around for a long time, and will no doubt be around long after we're gone. Marriage has been part of life virtually as long as the human race. Texas has only been making its own laws for a little more than 160 years.

The gu'ment should no more establish marriage as a special institution with special privileges denied to others, than the gu'ment should establish a State Religion.

I wonder what the Texas Legislature thinks of this constitional amendment? Did they write it up in the exact wording that the citizens mandated, or did they mess around with it? Maybe I ought to look it up.

No comments: