Sunday, December 23, 2018

Today, on a whim,...

I recalled a burning question from my second day of work in Santa Fe, a number of decades ago, when I was the father of an only child, but with word from a wife who has never missed yet in her prognostications.

On the first day, I learned that everyone in the office was invited to the wedding of the daughter of the Holien partner of Holien & Buckley, my brand new employers.

So the next day, I commuted "churchily attired"  from Albuquerque, where I was staying with In-law relatives until I could collect my family in south Texas and return to settle in Santa Fe.

I was married in a Roman Catholic edifice and have visited many, including the cathedral in Austin, but was not prepared for the grandeur of Saint Francis.

Not yet having met the boss's daughter, but knowing that her dad called her "Siggie", I could not grasp why, from my position well back from the action, , I heard the priest consistently refer to "Secret Mary".  I had never noticed any similar appellation assigned to my own bride, or any other in my experience.

I learned rather quickly that her name was Sigtid Marit, a combination of very well used Scandinavian names, but today my curiosity took me to more recent knowledge that Siggie had left us behind in 2015 at age 81, in "The House That Bung Built", within sight and hearing of the office that provided education, entertainment, and sustenance for us in the early 1960s.

"The House that Bung Built" will be documented at a later time,  I fear rhat there is much more than should rightfully be appended to this, even though it will say more about Siggie.



No comments: