Monday, September 3, 2018

ATTEMPTING A RETURN TO REGULARITY

Suggested by a close friend we frequently call "Our other daughter", that I become less lethargic, I will ignore any admonitions that I need a "purpose" and return to randomly sharing my randomly anecdotal life, if only a reminder to myself of things I have done.

"Once upon a time," at the ridge of Orton Hill in Nacogdoches, you can find on a map, at the intersection of East Main Street and Center Road. a "Hasley St.", where Mr. Hasley kept what might now be called a "convenience store", but we local young'uns called a "grocer store".

Things most remembered by the young minds of nearby kinder were the lamp-post style gasoline pump, the penny candies which resembled a ring pillow contained an actual ring. and the stalk of bananas which hung from a hook by the front door.

I do not actually have first-hand knowledge of the following event, it happened long before my time on Earth.  It was related to me many years later by my mom.

Mr Hasley's store predates the hanging of the banana stalk, for there was a time in history when all produce was locally grown, and such exotic imports as bananas were not commonly known in deep East Texas.

A local farmer made one of his infrequent trips to town one day, and stood looking  at the newly hung banana stalk.  Mr. Hasley finally explained that the bananas were a new acquisition, and suggested that the farmer take one home and try it.  Using the knife that hung on a string beside the stalk, Mr. Hasley separated a banana from the stalk, and handed it to the farmer.  "This one will be on me, Jed, and if you like it, you can buy all you want next time you come in".

The next time Jed came to the store, Mr. Hasley was quick to inquire about the banana.

"Well, I gotta be honest with you, Mr. Hasley, I don't think I will be buying any.  Not because I did not like it,...it is probably fine for rich folks who are less frugal than I, but I found it heartbreaking to throw away the large cob for which I could find no practical use.  Thanks anyway, for the opportunity to give  'em a try."

No comments: