Tuesday, March 18, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?


ATG, St Patrick's Day, 2008
Originally uploaded by Willie C
How can one explain gardening? My life has gone through numerous phases in the past 71 years, ten months, and 17 days. Yet the thing that has remained throughout is an affinity for the smell and feel of soil.

The miracle of putting seeds or plants into the soil and watching them grow has always fascinated me. I've never been a "good" gardener, and often the results of my efforts are very disappointing, yet I'll continue as long as I can.

I do not ever wish to use chemicals processed by human means to help my garden grow. Sometimes, it seems, this attitude is detrimental, but my soil seems to improve with age, and I know that it would not if I fed it with chemicals.

I have always thought that composting was one of the greatest pleasures life has to offer, which once prompted my wife to say, "Knowing my jealous nature, you should know better than to say that aloud!".

If you were to look at my immediate environment today, you'd think, "Here lives a lazy person who has no concern at all about appearances", and you'd be partially right. But you should have seen it before my time became flexible!

I always look forward to Spring, when I can spend a lot of time outdoors, and things get done. Around here, only things which are planted in the Spring or the Fall have much hope of thriving, so these are the times to feel "productive".

Since I don't go to a "job", and my time is flexible, I find that there are so many things to do that I sometimes manage to get nothing done at all!

I suppose, now would be a good time to get out before it rains, and prepare a couple more rows for beans, my favorite and most prolific garden friend.

No comments: